Principles of Good Governance
We, the Board of The Drama League of Ireland CLG commit to:
Principle 1 – Leading our organisation.
- Agreeing our vision, purpose, and values and making sure that they remain relevant.
- Developing, resourcing, monitoring, and evaluating a plan to make sure that our organisation achieves it’s stated purpose.
- Managing, supporting, and holding to account staff, volunteers, and all who act on behalf of the organisation.
Principle 2 – Exercising control over our organisation.
- Identifying and complying with all relevant legal and regulatory requirements.
- Making sure that there are appropriate internal financial and management controls.
- Identifying major risks for our organisation and deciding ways of managing the risks.
Principle 3 – Being transparent and accountable.
- Identifying those who have a legitimate interest in the work of our organisation (stakeholders) and making sure that there is regular and effective communication with them about our organisation.
- Responding to stakeholder’s questions or views about the work of our organisation and how we run it.
- Encouraging and enabling the engagement of those who benefit from our organisation in the planning and decision-making of the organisation.
Principle 4 – Working effectively.
- Making sure that our governing body, individual board members, committees, staff, and volunteers understand their role, legal duties, and delegated responsibility for decision making.
- Making sure that, as a board, we exercise our collective responsibility through board meetings that are efficient and effective.
- Making sure that there is suitable board recruitment, development, and retirement processes in place.
Principle 5 – Behaving with integrity.
- Being honest, fair, and independent.
- Understanding, declaring, and managing conflicts of interest.
- Protecting and promoting our organisation’s reputation.
We confirm that our organisation is committed to the standards outline in these principles. We commit to reviewing our organisational practice against the recommended actions for each principle every year.
Jackie Scanlan, Chairman, Karen Carleton, Director
May 2017, Organisation Type C